Bathroom Remodel From Hell: How to Remove Wallpaper in Just Four Years!

A special note to whoever installed this hideous wallpaper: there is a special room in hell, just for you.

This was our bathroom when we first moved in. That was 2008. Sometime in 2009 we moved the treadmill to the family room, because honestly, who wants a treadmill in the bathroom? Shortly after that, we ripped out the wallpaper. Or tried to.

We scored, we sprayed chemicals, we waited. We pulled and off came the paper, leaving a fuzzy wallpaper backing behind. We tried scoring again, and spraying more, stronger chemicals. With putty knives, we hacked away the sticky backing one inch at a time. That half wall behind the toilet? That took an entire day.

Over the next couple of years I'd return to the mess. The wallpaper itself was gone, but all the walls were discolored yellow fur. I'd try chemicals, hot water, fabric softener. All the things friends said would peel wallpaper off like a charm. But nothing worked.

By about 2011 the carpet had ground-in toothpaste, new gross stains in addition to the ones that were already there. So we ripped it up. Bare concrete with rusty nail heads along the baseboards, yellow-fur-lined walls. The bathroom was so nasty guests refused to use it. H@ll, even we refused to use it.

And then the amazing happened. It's now 2013 (obviously). I asked a man at church how to get nails out of concrete, and I Googled for wallpaper removal tips. After five or so pages of, "Dif!" and "Fabric softener!" one blogger mentioned removing wallpaper with vinegar. Wow, vinegar that I already use for everything from setting dyes to cleaning glass. What could it hurt? So I mixed up a bottle of half-vinegar, half-hot-water, and set to work.

An hour later, I'd cleared an entire wall of yellow fur. By the end of a weekend, our bathroom looked like this:
Ok, not much of an improvement, unless you'd seen the furry walls and rusty nails. The glue residue is now gone, the ceiling washed and prepped for fresh paint. We're almost done! The next post will likely have something to do with chalkboard paint, or lighting, or tile, or shopping for sink bases.

Sigh. I was so excited. I guess we're not almost done after all.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for this fantastic article. It contains whole lot data which I need. I am bookmark your site by my next visit.

    bathroom remodeling Birmingham, AL

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article is very good & informative.I have gain so much information from this blog.I like your blog.Thanks for the post.

    Birmingham Bathroom remodeling

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have word to thank you for this informative post. I like your blog very much.
    very well explained about bathroom remodel.....
    after sometimes we should change our bathroom so that it keep for long life...
    Channels for Drainage


    ReplyDelete
  4. I remodeled my bathroom last year. Took out the old (pink) cast iron tub and replaced it. I had talked to several people who had old tubs professionally refinished with epoxy finishes and they said there was an extremely strong chemical odor from the process that lasted for days.
    http://www.allevaconstruction.com/services/baths.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I really interested to your post. It is really impressive. You gave me a lot of information about it.All of them are amazing. Thanks.
    bathroom remodeling birmingham, al

    ReplyDelete
  6. good post,I am glad to visit your website.. This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality and it is very useful one and gives in depth information.
    Bathroom remodeling
    Hydrotherapy tubs
    Handicapped bathroom
    Handicapped shower
    Austin San Antonio
    Texas
    walk in tub dealers in San Antonio
    Tx and walk in bathtubs in Austin
    Tx

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *